Wednesday 13 May 2015

Artisan Bread On The Grill ~ Baking Bread Outdoors....


I have wanted an outdoor oven ever since I can remember. Well ever since I first got married anyways. I told my husband "I want one for our 10th anniversary" That was just about 10 years ago. lol. I decided I didn't want to wait any longer and wondered if I could bake it on the grill at least. So last night that's just what I did. And it worked!! Such a fun option especially for those hot months when you don't want to heat up your house. Here's how I did it...



Pull out your ingredients 



Proof your yeast



Add the rest of the ingredients (Emmett insisted on partaking in this)






Mix it up by hand or a mixer with a dough hook



Let it rise


Cut the dough in half


Shape it into a loaf and let it rise at least 2 hrs



After 2 hrs looking nice and puffy 



Slash into the dough and dust with flour



Set it out on the grill (I placed an extra pan under the loaf pan for insulation as well a pan of water for moisture)


After 35 minutes (temp on the grill was 400 degrees F)
Looks so yummy!



A little bit of butter and honey on top. The kids are on this bread with honey kick lately. I gotta say I don't blame them.



And there she is....my dream oven!!


Artisan Bread 

Ingredients

3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tbsp granulated yeast
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
6 1/2 cups unsifted unbleached all-purpose flour

Instructions

Add yeast to the warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Mix in the flour and salt. Kneading is unnecessary so you can add all of the flour and mix it up. Once I had it lightly mixed up I threw it in the mixer with the dough hook just until it had a uniform consistency and the ingredients were incorporated.

Allow to rise for 2 hrs, make sure to cover it so it doesn't dry out.

Split dough in half to make 2 loaves. I baked one and saved one in the fridge.

Shape dough into a loaf, stretch the surface of the dough all around into the bottom. Cover and allow to rise on a dusted pan for 40 minutes. (don't over dust your pan with flour or you'll end up with a bunch of really dark brown excess flour on the edges of the pan, I did that..lol)

Dust and slash the dough. Slash a quarter inch into the dough in two diagonal lines with a serrated knife)

Preheat grill for 20 minutes. If you have a thermometer on your grill it should read 400 degrees F. Also prepare a pan with water (not necessary but adds moisture) to place on top rack of grill. Place your cookie sheet on grill to create a barrier between the loaf pan and the flames from the grill to help prevent burning.

You can also bake this bread in an oven at 450 degrees F is you choose to

Bake for about 30-35 minutes. If you are baking on the grill you will want to check up on it to make sure it doesn't burn. Mine turned out perfectly at 35 minutes.



This is the basic Boule bread mix recipe from the book "Artisan Bread in five minutes a day" I adapted it to use on the grill.




No comments:

Post a Comment