Monday 11 May 2015

Learning to crochet...

I love doing crafts and projects. Even before Pinterest was born I had many projects on my to do list. One craft that I taught myself to do was crocheting. I just loved all those cute little baby hats I was seeing all over Etsy. That's also when I started seeing patterns for sale on Etsy….(ding…lightbulb going off) I'm going to make a hat for my baby! I bought a pattern and I was going to make a hat….today. But wait, I need yarn and crochet hooks. Away to Michael's we go. 
Ok now what? Not as easy as I thought. If you're wanting to learn to crochet, my advice would be to start by learning the basic stitches. You Tube is a great source for this. That's how I learned to crochet. 

Here are the steps I took to learn how to crochet:

1) Choose a pattern that is geared towards beginners (a simple baby hat will work). I used this one I found on Etsy. It is the Li'l Jackie hat by injenuity. (It's not very difficult but it states that it is Easy/Intermediate difficulty. The stitches are not basic ones but still easy. Here is a basic hat pattern from Daisy Cottage Designs for those who want to start with something totally basic.

2) Check to see what materials you will need. There are different yarn weights, make sure you choose the correct one.

3) Get familiar with crocheting lingo. Single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, chain stitch…etc. Watch a few You Tube videos and learn the stitches that you are required to make in your hat. Next try the stitches along with the video to get used to them. Here are some links to get you started.

Learning to crochet basics- chain (ch) and single crochet (sc)

Half Double Crochet (HDC)

Half double crochet 2 together (hdc2tog)

Front and Back post half double crochet (fphdc & bphdc) used in the Li'l Jackie hat shown above

Long single crochet (Long sc) used in the Li'l Jackie hat


4) Go ahead and start your hat. As a beginner, it will likely take you a few tries before you start to see something resembling a hat. I took me probably 10 tries doing the first few rounds and ripping them apart before I got it. Making mistakes is part of learning and without someone there watching over your shoulder, you will likely make them. Don't give up.

5) Once that hat starts coming together there's a sense of pride and you'll be so excited to finish.

Here's My finished product (and my baby boy)….



Good Luck and happy crocheting!!!

Amanda <3


No comments:

Post a Comment